Christmas dinner is probably the biggest and most important meal of the year. It is also often shared with more friends and relatives than you’ve seen all year. So what happens when someone spills something? How do you remove those Christmas dinner stains?
Firstly, be prepared! This might help you avoid a spillage in the first place. Our 2 top tips are:
- Always carry food to the table on trays as there is less chance of spillage (it also adds a touch of sophistication, we think!).
- If you have young children try protecting the carpet under the table by laying something over it first. A plastic sheet, or an off-cut of carpet will help to protect the carpet so you can enjoy your meal!
I’ve spilt something – how do I avoid Christmas dinner stains?
Should something be trodden into your carpet, don’t panic! Just follow the following steps:
- Firstly, scrape up the excess. A blunt knife will do the job! Be careful not to damage the carpet pile by scraping too hard.
- Next, dampen a cloth with a little water and dab this onto the area. Again, no rubbing! Then repeat with a dry cloth to again soak up any of the moisture.
- Leave to dry!
- Please note, you DON’T need to use fancy cleaning products on the spill. They might temporarily disguise the area but as soon as the soap in them dries, it becomes sticky attracting any dirt and dust that’s floating around.
I can still see Christmas dinner stains – what next?
If the above method doesn’t work, you can dry a detergent solution (1 tsp of gentle detergent to half a pint of warm water). Apply this over the area. Then use a damp towel and blot the area until nothing more is transferred to the cloth.
If the food contains some form of oil like brandy butter or cream, follow with an Ammonia solution (a tablespoon of household ammonia solution to a cup of water). Dab into stain, rinse and blot dry.
The carpet should be looking a lot better now, but if you are still having problems, then give Careclean Essex a call on 01245 323989 for free advice/to book in your free quote. Although our cleaning machines are packed away from Thursday 20th December until Wednesday 2nd January, our holiday team are ready to take your call and book in your free quote.
Hope you have a super Christmas!
Want more articles like this?
Careclean was established in 1984 and has a vast knowledge of carpet and upholstery cleaning and maintenance. We post a bi-weekly blog, which often includes carpet and upholstery cleaning tips and guidance on keeping your home clean and healthy. Click here to check out our blog. You can also follow us on Twitter and Facebook to keep up to date on all the latest news and offers.